Sunday, October 17, 2010

The End Is Near...

F1 Personality Fans:
Alonso Hydrates Webber 
I have returned! More importantly, I have returned with having put some intense track-time under my belt - provided by iRacing. As a result, I have a newfound respect for your hero's behind the wheel of an F1 car. I also understand more of how racing ( and F1) reveals character, not necessarily builds it. I have found myself acting on impulses like Schumacher and making overzealous maneuvers due to lack of skill and too much testosterone. All of a sudden, I have seen myself as the iRacing version of Paul Tracy! Not a pretty site.

Canadian GP - Check.
Excitedly, this season I had the chance to see the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, joined by some friends and had an awesome time. Awesome noise. I found myself pulling out my earplugs just to make it more visceral. The unprotected sound of an F1 car screaming is my version of what going to a Metallica concert without ocular prophylaxis is for a metal-head.

Mark Webber: Underexciting World Champion 
Who will be World Champion? Mark Weber. However, I don't want it to be Mark Webber and I don't think most F1 fans want it to be either. At this point, I'm wanting Alonso to win but not sure if he'll pull it off. If  he does, I would be convinced of conspiracy. Funny how confident Alonso was during the Japan post-race press interview; saying all too easily that if he's on the podium for the last 3 races he'll win the title. That casual announcement made my head tilt and say to myself: "He's too confident - there's got to be something else at play behind the scenes."

Why do I want Webber to lose? Because he's un-interesting. I like champions to be eccentric, special, outlandish, express some non wet blanket opinions. When the champion is an "everyman" like Mark Weber (more than Button) it takes the glamor out of my fantasies and I don't like such things. As a culture, we want our winners to be bold, heroic, swashbuckling.  Even Kimi, with his over-expressed droll and a no-nonsense, from the gut honesty, he's still more interesting than Mark. Kimi can even be imitated in type: "...wellthecarwasnotsogoodasweexpected and sothat'sracing."

F
 F1 Prince,  Lewis Hamilton
Prediction Comes True:
Well, as per my post from March, Hamilton has taken himself out of contention and I know exactly why. Lewis, I can help you with this, but you must decide you want to be champion and become self-determined with your destiny - without excuses and giving full permission to yourself for it. Or perhaps you don't feel you deserve it..or you have to give up who you are. All are untrue. F1 can't tell you who you are, it can only express a part of who you are.
 Getting there will be a journey of it's own.
Lewis Hamilton is still the F1 Prince. He needs more self-reliance skills. But since this is the first full season without his dad Anthony by his side - THAT is a reason he's not going for title number 2. I admire Anthony Hamilton. I think he decided that his son needs to be on his own, to make his own choices and mistakes. In my view, that is paternal love as Anthony sees the overall development of his Lewis more important than hand-holding him along the way. It will build a self-reliant life for our Louie. Perhaps multi-world titles and limitless possibilities beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment